Friday, December 11, 2015

In Training...

A week before my snowboarding trip and I decide to start my training.  I don't remember getting any snow runs in last season.  I don't think I've snowboarded since March 2014 in Park City, UT.  I'm not sure if my legs or cardio will hold up in Vail because I also haven't been running as much lately.  It's been too cold.  Yes, I see the irony there.

So just 7 days before my trip and I decided to do some conditioning on the Pinnacle Peak Trail.  Ahhh...good 'ol Pinnacle Peak.  I've done this trail more than I can remember.

No kidding!
 Trail Details. Pinnacle Peak is an out-and-back hike, not a loop trail, that runs 1.75 miles one way for a total of 3.5 miles round trip (See what I did there?)   It's also not a Peak trail.  You never get to the top of the peak unless you're a rock climber.  The trailhead elevation is 2570' and the highest point of the trail is 2889'.  You then lose elevation before another climb until you hike down to the end and lowest point of the trail at 2366'.  That's where you have to turn around and climb the hardest quarter mile of the hike as you make your way back.  The cumulative elevation gain of this hike is a healthy 1300'.

Hello Camelback! I'm looking at you look at me!
It's my go-to trail when out-of-towners want to go for a hike, but I don't remember the last time I did it.  It's a great hike with amazing views.   From one of the view points you can see Camelback Mountain.  Whenever I'm on the top of Camelback I always look North to see Pinnacle Peak.  This trail is where I saw my first and only wild Gila Monster.

The only thing that turns me off about it are the crowds.  The Four Seasons hotel is very close by, so many of the guests are directed to this great trail.  The upside to this popularity is it's very well kept and attended by trail rangers and rovers.

There are mile markers every quarter mile as well as informative signs for the different desert flora.  In honor of the holiday I noticed they even added signs for the first half mile that included modified lyrics to the 12 Days of Christmas.  Close to the top of the first peak, we get to the 12th day.

If you're looking for a beautiful hike and great exercise check out Pinnacle Peak Trail.  But be aware, there are no dogs allowed here so leave Rover home for this one.








No comments:

Post a Comment