Thursday, December 31, 2015

19th Century Poetry

New Years Eve always reminds me of this poem by Thomas Hardy, The Darkling Thrush.  It's about the end of the day, the end of the year, the end of a century and the cold winter makes everything look bleak.  Yet a small, little bird decides to put in every ounce of joy he can muster up to belt out it's happy little song.

"...that I could think there trembled through his happy good-night air
some blessed Hope, whereof he knew and I was unaware."

This poem is even more poignant to me today as 2015 comes to a close.  As some of you might know, I will be laid off later in January.  One might envision things to look cold and bleak like Hardy describes in this poem, but I feel more like the Darkling Thrush, ready to face the new year with a song and joy in my heart.

I'm also reminded of this quote:

"A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking, because her trust is not on the branch, but on it's own wings."

Lots of exciting things are in store for 2016! It's a brand new adventure and I'm looking forward to every minute!  Happy New Year, friends! Thanks for reading my blogs and joining me on my adventures.  Here's to many more to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment