Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Traveler Alert

Staring at me in this morning's headlines "Belgium arrests two over suspected New Year attack plot" Just. Great.

This is the first time my husband's letting me travel internationally without him and guess where I'm going.  Yup, Belgium.  The article states 'The Belga news agency, citing an internal police memo, said there "exists a possible and credible threat of Paris-style attacks" against the high-profile Grand Place'  I'm pretty sure that was on the list of places to visit while I'm in Brussels.

The Grand Place or Grote Markt - Photo Cred - My sister
Now my husband's got to worry about terrorism threats.  Of course, I'm worried, too.  But we can't live and plan our lives around threats.  My sister has been wanting to take me to Europe for years.  We would talk about it in high school during French class.  Now here's my chance to visit Belgium and France next month with my very own sister as my tour guide and translator.  Yes, she did great in French class and unlike 99% of people who take French in a U.S. high school, she actually uses it!

Of course, I'll remain vigilant and pay attention to my surroundings as is suggested by the US Dept of State World Wide Travel Alert.  But as travelers we should always do so.

Happy New Year, everyone.  Or shall I say "Bonne Annèe"

No comments:

Post a Comment